Firstly – what a clever lot you all are….fantastic set of ideas and discussion that is very cool to see it evolving in interesting directions. It feels like you have taken ownership of this already which is exactly what we hoped might happen .
There are two key things you can do to help accelerate this idea. First is to continue letting as many people know about this as possible – the more smart people that start thinking about these things the better.
The second is to start adding more detailed flesh to the ideas. These models on this site were thrown together in a few days and we really need some folks skilled at modelling/sketching to bring some of the ideas mentioned alive so others can see the possibilities.
The fact that so many people get excited and all we had were relatively boring grey rectangles linked together is kind of encouraging. We would love to see people create more detailed images of:
- How linked retails precinct could work on the elevated garden link – tied in with covered walk ways?
- More creative office/hotel/residential buildings and precincts with the elevated garden integrated
- Some more curves and split levels
- Ways generic building elevators/stairs could be created to be used for both buildings and public (opportunity for retail shops to increase flow through past shop windows?)
- Innovative public spaces – e.g. maybe the slopes up to elevated garden could sweep around half of the square making the cathedral the centre piece. This could form a natural amphitheatre that could be used for concerts possibly including an innovative retractable roof? – hey we may be allowed at least one or two expensive things as well….
- Ways to link in heritage buildings both rebuilt and possibly some left as ruins as a reminder. Imagine half the provincial chambers returned to former glory and half left in crumbles state to view safely from above (unique EQ generated sculpture?) – possibly more interesting than it was before? (and probably cheaper than a full rebuild)
- Some of the crazy things like having sheep. I assumed someone was having a laugh but if you sold ugg boots and sheep skins to tourists a few outside may not actually be silly
- Some detail on how the bridges/fences could be designed together
- Water features that could look like streams with modern twists for effect
- How the elevated walk/cycle ways could be created to best effect – main flows covered?
- So many other things too…….
We are hoping architects and designers will get creative with this and it could get quite interesting. If you have anything you would like to contribute let us know and we will post them up.